By Noah Sanganyi, HSC
The mandate of Department of Children Services (DCS) is to safeguard and protect the rights and welfare of all children in Kenya through implementation of relevant policies, coordination, supervision and delivery of services(Children’s Act 2001).Among other CP activities is to design a comprehensive Child Protection Information Management System (CPIMS) to aid in child protection data management, support in planning, implementation ,monitoring and evaluation of child protection programmes and services.
In an endeavor to fulfill its mandate, the department has had to cope with challenge of readily available and quality data both from within which has undermined adequate data demand and use in management of child protection programs and decision making.
It is against this background that Department of Children Services over the last few years has continuously engaged various partners for among others evolving a child protection Information management system(CPIMS)for the routine collection, analysis and sharing of CP data for use in policy formulation, planning, implementation and evaluation of child protection programmes.
Objectives of CPIMS
- To provide comprehensive and quality national child protection data.
- To enrich Case management of child protection cases.
- To strengthen coordination, monitoring and decision making in child protection programming.
- To improve Kenya’s reporting to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of a Child and African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child.
The system is expected to
- Provide complete case management system in child protection.
- Child protection data quality and security guidelines.
- Harmonized CPIMS data collection and reporting tools
- Timely, accurate and reliable CP data and reports
- A centralized registry for child protection data
- 47 counties using CPIMS to collect analyze and report child protection data.
The Cabinet Secretary Ministry of East African Community. Labour and Social Protection Phyllis Kandie in charge will be launching the CPIMS on 9th, May,2017 at Kenyatta International Conference Center.
The system support partly by Unicef, USAID. Catholic Relief Services , World Vision and Mrs Plan International has been rolled out in 13 counties namely BARINGO COUNTY AND KISII COUNTY,NAIROBI, NAKURU, SIAYA, HOMABAY, MIGORI, KAKAMEGA, MACHAKOS, KILIFI MURANGA, KISUMU and KWALE.
The government hopes to role out to the rest of the country in the next two years. The role out stage will involve stakeholder mapping, Sensitization on tools and reporting guidelines, Procurement of ICT equipment and Routine data quality assessment.
The Department of Children services is open to partnerships to enable quality data for Kenya children.
Noah Sanganyi, HSC is the Director of Children Service, He can be reached on SanganyiNoah@yahoo.com or twitter @NoahSangayi